Monday, May 10, 2004

May 10, 2004 : Marsden Fires Back

Marsden replies
National Post
Monday, May 10, 2004
Byline: Rachel Marsden

Re: MP Fires Aide On Harassment Charges, May 8.

This article alleging my "termination" from the election campaign of Gurmant Grewal MP is not only erroneous but further alleges that issues from my past play a role in the story. To set the record straight, I have never been convicted of any wrongdoing in the SFU harassment case -- a traumatic incident I underwent while in my teens. I have also not been convicted of any wrongdoing in the Morgan harassment case, which is still before the courts. I have authored a number of columns critical of Stephen Harper, before he became Conservative party leader, and have been asked by his office to revise those articles after they were published. That, of course, cannot be done, as they are already in print. I have recently completed a project for B.C. Conservative MP Gurmant Grewal, to the satisfaction of Mr. Grewal, and have volunteered to help out in his upcoming re-election campaign. I have not been terminated from any position that I might have held with Mr. Grewal, and indeed have never been terminated from any job or position in my lifetime. As a Canadian, I feel that it is my right to volunteer for any party or candidate that I believe would do a good job for my country.

Rachel Marsden, Vancouver.